History Sandwiched In: How Charles Henry Mills Made His Mark on Madison

  • 30 N. Carroll St.
  • Madison, WI 53703
  • Phone: (608) 264-6555

Charles Henry Mills (1873-1937) was an organist, conductor, composer and educator from Nottingham, Englan. He came to University of Wisconsin-Madison as a professor of music in 1914 and served as the director of the School of Music from 1914 until his death in 1937. Mills transformed the School of Music during his twenty-three-year term as director, introducing “the Wisconsin plan,” which lead to the University accepting music courses for entrance credit on an equal basis with other academic subjects, and devising a new four-year “Graduate in Music” degree program later renamed Bachelor of Music. Both the Mills Music Library at the University and Mills Hall in the recently renamed Mead Witter School of Music are named in his honor. Tom Caw, Music Public Services Librarian at Mills Music Library, will share materials from the Charles H. Mills Collection in the Wisconsin Music Archives as he recounts how Mills made his mark on Madison. Bring a lunch to this informal lunch-and-lecture series.

  • Times: 12:15 PM to 1:00 PM
  • Admission: Suggested donation of $3.00 per person