A Know-Before-You-Go Guide for Athletes, Families, Friends & Fans
Hosting the Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association (WIAA) Boys State Basketball tournament is a tradition in Madison, and so are the tried-and-true things to do in our destination: shopping on State Street, discovering new restaurants, checking out the campus and more. Get set for a once-in-a-lifetime weekend with this know-before-you-go guide!
- Save your seat. Visit the WIAA website to see the schedule and buy your tickets in advance. Tickets are available in single or multiple session packages.
- Score great rates. Book a hotel room at one of the WIAA fanfare participating hotels! Choose from over 18 area hotels offering special rates for WIAA Championship fans.
- Prep for parking. There are many options for where to park when you come downtown Madison for the tournament. Many UW-Madison campus lots are available for WIAA parking for $8, as well as two nearby City of Madison parking ramps (includes state street campus and state street capitol garages). Or, you can leave the driving to someone else and take the shuttle from the Alliant Energy Center. It’s conveniently located off of Hwy 12-18, and a short shuttle ride downtown to the Kohl Center.
- Stay in the game. Before heading in to the Kohl Center for all the action, make sure to check out the list of restricted items and the official carry in policy so you don’t miss a second of the big game.
- Share the fanfare. Once you’ve gone through the main entrance at the Kohl Center, be sure to stop at the Official Fan Station to get your picture taken. Share your photo using #WIAAbb on Instagram or Twitter for a chance to see your snapshot on the scoreboard screen!
- Meet on State Street. This ten-block, pedestrian walkway is just a two-block walk from the Kohl Center—and THE place to be in-between games. You’ll see letter jackets everywhere you look, along with a wide variety of locally-owned restaurants and shops to explore. Stop by the Downtown Visitor Center for maps, guides and visitor information.
- Get itinerary ideas. Looking for more assistance in planning your basketball filled weekend in Madison? Check out our list of itineraries, restaurants, events calendar and more.
- Check out the campus. If you’ve set your sights on becoming a Badger, don’t leave Madison without touring the University of Wisconsin-Madison campus. With guided walking tours offered daily, it’s an easy way to see the highlights. Reservations are recommended.