Beets & Beer Dinner
- Presented By: Giant Jones Brewing Company and A Pig in a Fur Coat
- Dates: October 8, 2020
- Location: A Pig in a Fur Coat
- Time: 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM
- Price: $80
A three course take home beer dinner featuring 3 beet-centric dishes prepared by chef Dan Bonanno of Pig in a Fur Coat, highlighting new collaboratively selected beet varieties from UW-Madison Horticulture, paired with 3 Giant Jones brews.
This is a self-guided dining experience including in-depth videos from your "hosts!"
- Get the "deets" on beets - from flavor to genetics - from doctoral candidate Solveig Hanson
- Chef Dan Bonanno talks about making the most of beet flavor in the kitchen
- Brewer Jessica Jones gets to the "root" of pairing beer with beets
This event is a celebration and exploration of beet flavor, featuring beet varieties selected for unique and well-liked flavor by Wisconsin farmers, chefs, and consumers.
You’ll sample beet varieties with uncommon levels of geosmin, the compound that imparts earthy aroma to beets, but you may or may not perceive them as earthy!
Menu & Pairings
- Beet carpaccio with beet soil, whipped goat cheese, arugula, lemon and pistachios | Paired with Giant Jones American-Belgo Double IPA
- Cold beet pasta with picked beets, roasted beets, sunflower seeds, Calabrian chilis, herbs and feta | Paired with Giant Jones Doppelsticke Altbier
- Beet brownie with chocolate, cherry and beet raspberry sorbet | Paired with Giant Jones Dark Weizenbock
These beet varieties emerged from a participatory beet breeding project led by doctoral student Solveig Hanson of the UW-Madison Goldman Lab, with support from the Seed to Kitchen Collaborative.
The Seed to Kitchen Collaborative is a project of UW-Madison Dept. of Horticulture that connects plant breeders focused on organic systems to Wisconsin farmers and chefs, to create delicious, well-adapted vegetable varieties for organic production.
Cost is $80. Dinner and beer pick-up at Pig in a Fur Coat.