The Tile Club: Camaraderie and American Plein-Air Painting

  • 750 University Ave.
  • Madison, WI 53706

The Tile Club was one of many societies that formed across the United States during the late nineteenth century. Including such well-known artists as Winslow Homer, William Merritt Chase, Augustus Saint-Gaudens, Edwin Austin Abbey, J. Alden Weir, and John H. Twachtman, the club was founded in 1877 riding a wave of interest in the decorative arts.

IMAGE: Winslow Homer (American, 1836–1910), "Resting Shepherdess," 1877, painted and glazed ceramic tiles, 8 x 16 in., Heckscher Museum of Art, partial gift of Karen H. Bechtel in memory of Ronald G. Pisano and partial museum purchase with funds from the Acquisition Fund, the Eva Gatling Fund, and the Baker/Pisano Fund, 2005.2