Tourism—A Driving Force
A new study from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics highlights the travel industry as an “unsung hero” of job creation and economic growth. Highlights from that report include:
- From 2010–2016, travel jobs increased by 17%
- Travel is a top small business employer
- Travel is America’s second largest export, valued at $246 billion in 2016
What does this mean to the Greater Madison area*?
- More than 21,650 jobs, with an income of $635 million, were sustained by visitors to Dane County last year
- Visitor spending continued to grow by 5.2% in Dane County, surpassing $1.2 billion
- In the absence of the state and local taxes generated by tourism, each Dane County household would need to pay an additional $720 to maintain the current level of government services.
The Greater Madison area depends heavily on the work that you do in the service industry each day to bring visitors here and ensure they enjoy their visit. The GMCVB appreciates the true partnership we have with all of you that helps keep the tourism industry a robust economic growth engine. We are excited for what the future holds! Click here to see the full report on The Economic Impact of Tourism in Dane County.
*Tourism data is supplied by Tourism Economics and Longwoods International.
Featured Partner: Brocach Irish Pub & Whiskey Den
Since opening in 2004, Brocach Irish Pub & Whiskey Den (Gaelic for badger) has been the place to go for traditional Irish fare, whiskey and of course, the perfect pint of Guinness. “We’re a bar for grown-ups but we don’t take ourselves too seriously,” says Rich McDonald, a managing partner of Brocach. The relaxed atmosphere makes this an ideal destination for everything from happy hour to a date night dinner.
Last year, Brocach completed a head-to-toe makeover which made it a lighter and brighter space and transformed it into a more contemporary Irish pub. The upstairs lounge, the Whiskey Den, boasts dramatic views of the Capitol and features over 90 varieties of whiskey from around the world, making it the perfect place for your next private party or holiday celebration. Under the direction of Chef Kate Magee, the menu also underwent a makeover, integrating new dishes such as smoked whitefish Caesar salad and lobster rolls with classics like shepherd’s pie and bangers and mash.
Sláinte mhaith! (Good health in Irish Gaelic).
Brocach Irish Pub & Whiskey Den is located at 7 W. Main Street on the Capitol Square.
Article written by Mary Kauffman, Business Services Lead at Dept. of Workforce Development
In this employment climate, it is important to leverage valuable resources when recruiting solid talent. You are already paying for a service through taxes that you might not know you have access to.
Register with the Job Center of Wisconsin to tap into a candidate pool that can help fill your employment needs! Log into jobcenterofwisconsin.com to access résumés and opportunities to post your open positions.
WI Job Service, along with our partners (WorkSmart, Forward Services, DVR and others), are housed at the Dane County Job Center at 1819 Aberg Ave. here in Madison. It is our goal to assist job seekers in finding meaningful work and employers in filling their open positions. We work to do this through several channels:
- Our website where job seekers post their résumés for review and employers post job opportunities
- Hiring events held monthly at the Dane County Job Center
- Employer on-sites at the Dane County Job Center
- Large, regional job fairs held at the Alliant Energy Center twice a year for Dane County
- Community events and job fairs for surrounding counties with our Sauk and Jefferson presence
Our website is easy to maneuver and has useful resources such as labor market information, links to Veteran’s services, an event calendar, helpful descriptions for job postings, information on education and training and links to our partners.
I am happy to answer your questions about our services. Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org—I look forward to meeting you! For questions about job postings and/or registration status, please call 1.888.258.9966.
Warm Welcome & Major Milestones
We’re excited to welcome the following new partners:
Mead made modern! Their emphasis is on using quality, local ingredients to create highly quaffable dry and sparkling modern meads.
A free online booking site for RV parks and campgrounds. Campers who use RoverPass can quickly and easily browse campsites across the country including access to reviews, campsite activities/amenities, pictures and more.